The city struggled with geographic isolation throughout the early 19th century.
The arrival of the railroad in 1855 led to an economic boom.
Blount originally wanted to place the territorial capital at the confluence of the Clinch River and Tennessee River (now Kingston), but when the Cherokee refused to cede this land, Blount chose White's Fort, which Mc Clung had surveyed the previous year.
Blount named the new capital Knoxville after Revolutionary War general and Secretary of War Henry Knox, who at the time was Blount's immediate superior.
However, the approach of stronger Union forces under Ambrose Burnside in the summer of 1863 forced Buckner to evacuate Knoxville before the earthworks were completed. Like the Confederates, he immediately began fortifying the city.
This he accomplished almost immediately with the Treaty of Holston, which was negotiated and signed at White's Fort in 1791.The KMSA is, in turn, the central component of the Knoxville-Sevierville-La Follette Combined Statistical Area, which, in 2013, had a population of 1,096,961.First settled in 1786, Knoxville was the first capital of Tennessee.Following the war, Knoxville grew rapidly as a major wholesaling and manufacturing center.The city's economy stagnated after the 1920s as the manufacturing sector collapsed, the downtown area declined and city leaders became entrenched in highly partisan political fights.